March 01, 2013

DIY: Geometric Triangle Ladder Necklace

I am loving ladder necklaces right now - they're trendy, unique and just plain cool looking. I've seen so many designs around the interwebs, and frankly, I love them all. So while I'm building up my collection of those, why not DIY some, right? Today I've whipped up an electric blue ladder necklace, and if you read more, you'll find out how I did it. 

My main material today? Popsicle sticks of course (with a bit of trial and LOTS of errors, lol). I love making jewelry out of popsicle sticks - they're so affordable and very easy to cut. Well, not so easy, but easier than 1/4" thick wood. :D 

What do you need to make your own, you say? Well, here are what I used:
Jumbo-sized popsicle sticks
X-acto knife
Nail polish (I used Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri in Freeze)
Cutting mat
Drill 
3/32" drill bit
Jump rings
Chain
Lobster clasp

Measure 3" across your popsicle stick, mark the middle as shown.


Now, measure a 1 cm drop on a common side and mark them.


Draw a line from the 1 cm point to the middle point. Connect the other point to the middle as well, forming a triangle with a 'drop'. 


Before cutting out our shapes, mark and drill two holes on each end of the triangle. I suggest you work with the smallest bit (1/16") before moving up to the 3/32" bit - makes it less likely to crack and will save you a ton of frustration. Sand each side of the popsicle stick prior to cutting.


Now, cut your shapes up with an x-acto knife. Be careful and patient, it cracks easily near the drilled holes. I actually had to make one triangle 6 times because it kept cracking :S


I love using the Insta-Dri line from Sally Hansen because they dry faster than normal nail polish and are super pigmented, so it will only take 1-2 coats each side. Anyway, paint with nail polish (or spray paint, but that takes longer to dry). I suggest painting the edges first before filling in the front space. Wait for it to dry, then fill in the back. 


After drying, assemble as shown. 



There, you are done! Isn't that pretty? I attached a long chain on it so that I could wear it:





Short and simple - excuse the blurriness and please ignore the visible bra strap, lol. I could also wear it like so:






Long and layered with other necklace pieces. I love wearing necklaces this way. 

What are your thoughts on ladder necklaces - loving it or hating it? Leave your lovely comments down there and have a good weekend! :)

Hey! I'm linking up again:
Just Us Four
Tatertots & Jello
Whipperberry
Cheerios and Lattes
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

21 comments :

  1. This is so cool and imaginative, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! It looks awesome. What an awesome project! I hope you will consider linking it up to the Pinworthy Projects Party over at my blog, Just Us Four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannah! And yes, I'd love to link up, doing it now actually :)

      Delete
  3. Cool..you could do ombres and gradations too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually, you could! I didn't think of that. Haha :D

      Delete
  4. you are so creative! i've been loving this trend too so i MUST try this one!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Enjoy making one.. or lots! :D

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's a really bright and electric color from sally Hansen. Really cute on the nails too (where it's meant for, lol)! :D

      Delete
  6. could I make a link to this page on my website? I just wanted to ask in case you didn't want me to And my website is www.xoxofashionistagirl.weebly.com in case you want to check it out. Thanks and just say if you don't want me to use your page as a link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd like that. Link away! :)

      Delete
  7. Aki- This is beautiful! Great tutorial too, you make it look so easy! You are a Featured Favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes. Thanks for joining us last week; we love having you! Can't wait to see what you've been up to this week!
    Mackenzie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think it's beautiful. And thanks for featuring me Mackenzie! :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing, great idea looks beautiful. This could also be done very very easily with Polymer Clay in every color you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Very trendy! Will share on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS