DIY: Animal Silhouette Collar Tips

Do any of you like collar tips and animals? If so, today's your lucky day. I'll be sharing how to make these cute animal silhouette collar tips, and variations on making them. I've been thinking of something easy to make for the blog (sometimes I just don't know what to craft until the last minute and lately I've been so obsessed doing other crafts that I've yet to share with you guys still) and thankfully this idea came to mind. Read on for the super easy peasy tutorial!


Here's a short list of what you need:
Leather / Pleather / Felt - I used pleather as I have an unhealthy obsession and stockpile of it at the moment.
Clip-on earring base - like these ones here; you can also use normal post earring bases, but I'm not really a fan of piercing my collars so I used those. 
E6000 or any strong adhesive
Scissors
Freezer paper (optional) 
Chain, spikes and other embellishments (optional)
Jump rings (optional)


Print your stencil on paper or freezer paper (I always use freezer paper now since I can just iron it on the fabric and it will give me a better, more uniform cut than just using paper and following the pattern - of course, if you're using freezer paper on pleather, don't forget to cover the rest of the textile sheet with fabric or paper so you don't melt the material). Cut them out. A side note: For the fox silhouette, you may have to resize it a few times until you get your desired size. I edited mine on Photoshop and matched the size with the bunny and cat silhouettes. You can also eyeball edit it on Microsoft Word - mine's 0.5" across and 0.9" tall. 



Glue the backside of your cut-out to the flat pad of the clip-on earring. It will help to open up the clip-on earring as shown in the photo above so you can center the cut-out better. Wait for that to dry. 


EEEK. Sorry for the unsightly nails.

Add any additional detail that you would like - use a jump ring to attach your embellishment to the clip-on earring, attach the jump ring in the space between the flat pad and the clip-on joint. 



I added a chain onto the cat one and spikes onto the fox ones. I really love how the fox ones turned out!



If not, you could always just leave them plain. That's what I did with these bunnies. Btw, the earring display I found is so cool, you should check it out here! 



Did you like this project? and if so, which one do you like? If not, what kind of collar tips would you like? Tell me in the comments box so we can talk about it! Enjoy your weekend folks! :D

Linking up here, as usual: 

      

19 comments

  1. bunnies r super cute :)

    http://lovelaughliveme.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You like the bunnies the most? Hmm. One point for the bunnies then! :) Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. so cute i love the fox one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both love the fox one! :D

      Delete
  3. Wow, these look great and really simple too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Glad you love it! :)

      Delete
  4. OH my gosh...how cute are these?! Thanks so much for linking this up to the Pinworthy Projects Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Shannah! :)

      Delete
  5. I love the little foxes so much! And I have a few friends that would just die over the little kitten clips.

    If you're interested, I would love to see this (or another one of your cute DIYs) submitted in our DIY contest. ;)
    http://themerrythought.com/diy/merry-makes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for the invite, I'll be sure to link up! :)

      Delete
  6. Where can I get these pleather in Klang Valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just get leather from leather shops or use scrap leather fabric from an old bag. :D

      Delete
  7. these are really unique! lovely idea~

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely and awesome <3 Totally making these!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top